There are two objectives involved within this workpackage:
1. Development and application of modular lightweight cargo deck panels based on adaptive materials and composite sandwich technology.
2. Development and application of adaptive rudder propeller
Refrigerated cargo carriers have four to five internal insulated cargo decks. Three or four of those decks need to be insulated. The conventional deck structure, has a large area on which the insulation is applied. When three or four decks are being insulated, the total insulation area might range from 4000 to 6000m2. Applying the insulation on conventional decks is taking an enormous amount of man-hours. The idea is to develop a modular lightweight cargo deck panels based on advanced composite sandwich technology for the refrigerated cargo ships currently being designed at Uljanik shipyard. The dimensions of a single panel will be optimised so can be transported on the ship via the side loader, and shifted on position by forklifts. Hybrid structures also provide means of developing highly optimised designs by taking novel substructure design variables together with standard structural variables in search for globally optimal hybrid structure.
The new panels will provide the following advantages to performances in application case:
- Light ship weight will be reduced up to 490 t.
- Consumption at service speed will be reduced up to 5 % or 3.2 t/day.
- Modular Design – to facilitate transport and montage
Those vessels manoeuvring criteria are based on the requirements to approach astern in gates at terminals. Tunnel stern thrusters are ineffective so the only present solution is to install two CPPs. However, the present solution reduces the ship efficiency in seagoing conditions. Therefore, the effective adaptive manoeuvring propulsion is required. The idea is to develop the adaptive rudder-propeller i.e. spade rudder with incorporated electric-motor driven propeller for the train ferry vessels currently being designed in Uljanik shipyard.
The new propulsion system will provide the following advantages to ship performance in particular application case:
- The fuel saving of 15 % is obtained due to the fact that twin propeller propulsion is replaced with single propeller propulsion.
- The manoeuvring capability is increased by 5% in seagoing condition with a possibility of take me home.
- The manoeuvring capability in ports is increased as the rudder propeller act at 0-90 degrees.
- The lightweight mass reduction will be 90 t (2 %).
- The cargo capacity will be increased 4 %.